Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hoidays

December has always been one of my favorite times of the year.  I am a child at heart and love the joy of Santa and children.  Not for the greedy reasons, but for the joy of being able to give to others and plan ahead to provide that joy.  I love talking to small children about what they are going to give to mom or brother or dad or whoevere.  If, I have the opportunity I take my grandchildren shopping for their parents.  I think sometimes when we become budget minded we forget to give small children especially the chance to create a list of things they would like to make or buy for others at Christmas.

Christmas with my husband was always a fun time, because we both loved the chance to give to one another and not have it be something needed or practical.  For the first ten years of our marriage he would ask me what I wanted for Christmas and I would always say a doll.   He never believed me until I emphazied how I really did want a doll.  The first doll he ever gave me for Christmas is still my favorite, because he finally listened and understood my inner child.  Sometimes I look at that doll and I remember all the glorious Christmases shared with him and my daughters throughout the years.

Christmas also means lights, and decorations.  For the last few years the lights have been a memory because for me to put them up is too difficult by myself.  When our children were growing up they would complain about the number of lights on the outside of our house, because it could be seen from blocks away.  I love Santa and Manager Scenes and for the last 40 years have collected a variety of different figurines and scenes.  Each represent the art of giving and the love for mankind to me and I find so much pleasure in putting these up in my home.

Christmas for me is also about tradition and the traditions passed from one generation to the next.  Marriage alwasys brings a sack full of conflicting traditions and the opportunity to seperate the important to each of you and the not so important.  Our compromise was Santa came on Christmas Eve while the children slept and we put bubble lights on the tree.  The Christmas Ever was mine and the bubble lights his, yet they still are traditions in our childrens home. 

I live on my own and Christmas could be a terribly lonely time for me.  I could live in the past and sometimes in my mind I do see the past.  I can see my excited husband as he prepared to wake the children and I can hear their excited voices behind the closed bedroom door.  The laughter and the oh's of watching someone take their turn at opening presents.  I love those memories, but look forward each year to the new memories which will be made.  This year Christmas will be spent with one of my daughters and her family.  They have their own traditions and some are ones she brought to the marriage and some his.  Yet, I will find joy in watching as their small children find the joy in Christmas morning and learn of the Savoir on Christmas Eve.

It is a wonerous time of year.

No comments: