Sunday, June 12, 2011

For about a year and a half, I have had the privilege of wearing a brace on my right foot, because of a damaged tendon.  The original hope was to make the tendon to repair on it's own and everything would be perfect again.  Of course as luck goes for me, it has done that and in two weeks I will have surgery on my foot and will be off it for about 6 weeks.  I had to choose summer, because coordinating my children to come and be my chauffer for that long was the only time available. 

I recently spent 10 days in Jacksonville,Illinois, with the brace and three small grandchildren, my daughter, and her husband.  It was hot and miserable the brace was not made to wear in hot weather.  After surgery, I will be wearing a boot for 24 hours almost most of the time.  I just wanted to warn my friends in the Seattle, area that I am not praying for heat this summer, just nice mild temps, maybe 75 degrees, but nothing highter.

I am getting a little shakey about the surgery, even though I have done surgery on this foot before, I have been in a great deal of pain this week and my hopes and prayers are the pain will be eliminated with surgery, it is something you never know.  My greatest fear is for the first time in many years I will be dependent on others for transportation, grocery shopping, and moral support.  I realize I have become quite independent and dislike asking for help in any way, shape. or manner.  This has been a humbling and scary process for me.  Even though most of the help is coming from my children, I have had to ask them to arrange the summer to meet my needs and it had some complications.  They were all more than willing, but I am a creature of habit and have had the opportunity to creature my own life pattern for my own comfort, having company for so many weeks will be a challenge.  I also worry, about the lack of ability to play and go places with my grandchildren.

My two weeks in Illinois, were full of fun and activity.  I have a lovely group of granchildren there.  I sometimes hold a grudge against their parents because they like the challenge of living away from home and that limits the time I can spend with their children. and them of course.  A new baby is always so nice to hold and cuddle and this new one is especially cuddley and likes to be held as much as possible.  His big brother and sister are his greates admirers and don't seem to realize sleep is baby brother's job at this particular time.

What a joy it is to see your daughters become mothers and watch as they develop their talents in that field.  What a joy it is for me to be a helper and by stander and know they are mine to love, but someone elses responsibility to be with all the time.  I know Gods wisdom in most incidents of mothers being in the early stage of life when they have babies.  Yet, I adore to be a participant.

I want to thank all who wished me a "Happy Birthday"  it made my heart feel good.

No comments: